Modern business leaders understand how important it is for their company to engage and foster a culture of respect, inclusivity, and loyalty. When you start talking about HOW to do that, though, there are many opinions.
One of the best ways to improve a company’s culture is with social and emotional intelligence (EQ) training. There are wide-reaching benefits for creating a foundational environment of team members and leaders who believe in and commit to increasing their EQ.
These advantages go beyond the day-to-day workings of the company. They impact the company’s success, its employees, customers, and the world. Think we’re being dramatic? Read on to let us show you a few of the big ways social and emotional intelligence training benefit everyone.
Benefit to Companies
Investing in social and emotional intelligence training offers big advantages to companies, regardless of their size or the industry they serve. These include:
- Higher profitability and viability. Employees who know how to control their emotions and understand the emotions of their co-workers tend to work together better and have fewer conflicts. Smoother work leads to better efficiency and productivity, which helps get more done. Over time, these enhanced efforts help companies make more money and maintain their competitiveness in the marketplace.
- Stronger company cultures. Positive company cultures are nurturing to employees and create a more engaged workforce. Employees that show greater empathy and understanding to their co-workers enjoy tighter relationships and bonds.
- Greater employee retention. Losing high-performing employees can damage a company’s ability to perform well and stay on top of their game. Fostering team members’ social and emotional intelligence by providing training opportunities can alleviate conflicts and pave the way for teams to work more harmoniously. Happy employees aren’t as likely to leave, which reduces costly turnover and the need for recruiting new talent.
Benefits to Employees
Every team member can reap the rewards of a socially and emotionally intelligent workplace. Three of the biggest ways are:
- Improving soft skills. Team members need to possess the hard skills their job requires, but soft skills are important for success, too. A strong work ethic, positive attitude, knowing how to set goals, ability to communicate effectively, and good time management are highly-beneficial soft skills. These are also results of people who have high EQs. Since self-awareness is one of the main components of EQ, companies that invest in emotional intelligence training end up honing their employees’ soft skills in the process.
- Enhancing creativity and collaboration. Stronger EQ helps employees communicate and have greater self-confidence in their performance. Feeling safe and understood creates an environment of sharing and brainstorming, which encourages employees to think up and share new ideas that may be the next “big thing” in the business.
- Dealing with less stress. Workplace stress can lead to sickness, absenteeism, loss of productivity, and turnover. High EQ organizations decrease employee stress by reducing conflicts, lack of communication, and unclear initiatives. Mentally healthy employees are happier and better-equipped to make positive workplace contributions.
Benefits to Customers
The lifeblood of every company, customers benefit from organizations that take steps to forge high workplace EQ.
- Feels respected and heard. Customers don’t want to feel like they’re being handled with an impersonal, cookie-cutter approach. If team members listen to and respond respectfully and helpfully, customers know they’ve received a personalized experience. They walk away with a positive feeling about the experience and the company that provided it.
- Creates long-term loyalty. If a customer has a positive interaction with a company, they’re more likely to want to do business with them again. Authentic, honest interactions with high EQ employees help foster brand loyalty and may even snag the company some word-of-mouth recommendations.
Benefits to the World
Nope, we aren’t being dramatic. High EQ employees create a positive ripple effect that benefits people beyond the workplace’s walls.
Be happy…pass it on! Employees with high EQs treat their co-workers respectively. They treat their friends and family that way, too. Friends and family then treat THEIR co-workers, friends, and family, that way, and on it goes. Emotional intelligence initiatives can be far-reaching and effective for a higher standard of positive living.
Investing in social and emotional intelligence training benefits companies, but it also benefits teams, employees, customers, and more. Want to know more about how to empower and energize your workforce with EQ training? Contact us today!